Saturday 27 July 2013

A thought on corruption


Briefly skimming through the website of Sida (Sweidsh International Development Cooperation Agency), I mostly noticed what is written about their policy against corruption.

Expecting some genius method to prevent or detect corruption, I was quite struck by the simplicity of their measures. Basically, their policy seems to involve nothing more than firm non-acceptance. Or, as they put it:

Always prevent

Never accept

Always inform

Always act

This got me thinking: maybe that is the most sensible way of dealing with corruption? Maybe an absolute policy of non-tolerance for such fraud is effective enough?

I have not given the issue of corruption much thought, so I have no musings to share, but this idea grabbed my attention. From the top of my head, I would link corruption with personal gain – unfair personal gain – which is something I strongly believe is the purpose behind far too many actions of far too many people, influential or not. As such, I think corruption is yet another of those bad bad things that need to be prevented; another one added to the list that seems to never end…

(I have to end this post here, because we are suffering an awful heat wave here, so I cannot think straight, even less write anything sensible…)  

No comments:

Post a Comment