Sunday 14 July 2013

Here we go again!...


It is about time to start writing regularly for this blog again. I have been lacking inspiration for a long time, as I had feared would happen, but now I have to shake up and get down to writing something. The golden rule for all writers that are short on inspiration or motivation is to just write something down; staring at a blank sheet of paper, or empty Word document, is rather pointless. 

For some time, I have been thinking about changing the focus of this blog slightly – not turning it in a different direction, but narrowing it down a bit. The more I consider it, the more I am convinced that the main reason we have all these global issues is that humans are selfish – by nature, some would argue. Therefore, I want to write to inspire selflessness, solidarity and sacrifice (not in the ritual sense!).

I believe many problems could be solved or eliminated by just changing our ways. We have already achieved wonderful things by starting to think and act differently, such as abolishing slavery, reducing colonialism, and, to some extent, disarmament (at least compared to the 20th century), in many countries. Of course, there is still much to be done, but we have fought for it successfully, as many are now fighting against poverty, famine, sanitation, etc.

Most of the good we have achieved has not come from scientific advances, I believe. Indeed, science has granted us many wonders, such as incredible medical development, and extended global communication through computerised technology. But, oppression and violence has been reduced by combined efforts to change the then-present order of the world. In the past centuries, slavery and war was how the world worked, but we realised that this is wrong, and fought to change it. Today, money-hungry companies rule the world instead of armed forces. This is still far from ideal, but an improvement at least, I would say. A simple metaphor would be that we have changed the currency from bullets to coins; but we should keep striving until it is love that makes our world go around.

I think poverty and famine could be broken by sharing. Easy to say, I know, but it is really not that difficult to do either, not at all as difficult as it might seem to us. If you find it hard to share, think about how much you probably already are throwing away for nothing. The less we waste, the more we can afford to give. (Cheap rhetoric, but it works!)

Less waste also means less strain on the environment. We humans put enormous pressure on our environment, not only by inefficient use in the poorer areas, but also by excessive use in the richer countries. Maybe the rich do not have to give their earnings to the poor, but if they devoted some of their resources and knowledge to helping the poor develop their lives, and at the same time refrain from excess, we might be on to something that works well for both parts and the planet we share!

This is what I want to convey to you, out there. This is a mentality I want to share and inspire, a way of life I believe to be sustainable and good for everyone. I want to do this because I believe it can be done, and I hope you share my thoughts and hopes. I hope we are all willing to keep changing to make this world a better place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment